Saturday, May 7, 2011

Blind Date #4 - Rennies Out on the Town

Ok, now before I write this I feel the need to preface something: I had this date on Wednesday. Yes, it is Sunday and I am finally writing it up. Why? Because my life has a tendency to get a wee bit insane during the week and leaves me little to no time to actually write and post stuff until the weekend. It's why I prefer the dates to happen on the weekends. That way there's not a multiple day turnaround for the post.

Ok. Onto the date!

This was a fairly normal date. It was set up by my friend Dawn who said that it needed to be during the week because this guy worked over the weekend and was only going to be in town until next Tuesday. Ok, I can work with that. Let's call him L.

So, we decided to meet at a restaurant in the Old Market district in Omaha called Spaghetti Works. Since he's from out of town and didn't know anywhere here, he said it was ladies choice. I picked SW because at the very least it's centralized and easy to find. Also, it's cheap.

So, I get off work and rush home to get ready for the date. (Another reason I prefer weekend dates: not so much with the rushing.) We're meeting at around 7, so that does give me a reasonable amount of time to get ready. I finish and head over.

The Old Market and SW are about a 20 minute drive from my house. But, given that parking sucks like a Hoover at any given time in the Old Market, I left about 45 minutes early. Good thing, too, because I had to part several blocks away.

But, I figured I'd be ok, because I always run a bit early and thought that he'd have the same parking issues that I did.

The lucky punk managed to finagle a parking spot just barely a block away and runs earlier than I do, apparently. Ok, interesting.

I arrive on the patio where we're supposed to be meeting and go to sit on a bench to wait. Surprise to me, he was waiting right where I was going to sit. Now, keep in mind that I generally don't know what these guys look like or anything, so I was a bit surprised when he said my name and I realized that I knew him from the Renaissance Faire I'd been to the previous week. He was one of the vendors and we'd flirted briefly. Ok. I can totally get down with this.

So, we go in and get seated at the restaurant. And we're talking about random stuff while we're looking at the menu and waiting for food. So, imagine my surprise when we talk, if briefly, about the two topics that it is widely considered you do not talk about in polite company and/or among strangers: religion and politics. Now, I'm not particularly averse to either of these subjects apart from the fact that my stance on politics tends to be apathetic at best and I'm not great when talking about personal aspect of religion, the whys and the wherefores. I did a reasonable amount of listening during those portions of the conversation. That doesn't make it bad, and I don't want to leave that impression. If anything I am highly impressed that L is comfortable enough with himself that he's willing to talk about two popularly taboo topics on an initial date.

After dinner we decided to go to a movie. He followed me to the theater since he didn't know where it was, and we got tickets to see Dylan Dog. When we got into the theater it was empty. Which means that we amused ourselves by pretending that it was full and that we were tripping over people as we made our way to our seats. It's the little things in life.

Since this isn't a movie review, I'll just say that the movie was neither good nor bad but fairly average.

After the film we parted ways. It was a nice date. L is a nice guy and I wish him nothing but the best in the future. And we'll probably see one another in passing as we both wander the faire circuit. Above all, I'm happy to have a new rennie friend. :)

*************

Thus ends this week's date. Now to find next week's date. Any takers?

K

No comments:

Post a Comment