Monday, March 28, 2011

Supplemental Blog #1 - Respect and Reasons

It's come to my attention that people may not be certain of my intentions in starting this project and thus are leery of potentially setting me up. It's a legitimate concern. In a world of jerks it'd be easy to see this project as nothing more than an opportunity to be a tool. I get it. Really, I do.

So, let me start by saying that this is not an excuse to make fun or be mean to the guys that I go on these dates with. I fully intend to treat them and the date with the utmost respect. The humor will be applied only anecdotally in the way that I write out the experiences. I'm not doing this with a mean spirit or to make myself feel good by making others feel like crap. That's not the way I roll.

The guys I'm going to go out with on these dates are human beings, just like me. That means that they deserve the respect as a person that I would give any other person, regardless of how well he and I do or do not get along. I fully intend on building this project on the idea of respect: Respect for my dates, myself, and for the social institution of dating.

That doesn't mean that there won't be laughs and funny things that happen along the way. In fact, I'm hoping that it will be a mostly humorous romp. However, it will all be situational and not person based.

So, that brings me to the reason I am doing this project. I'm doing it because I want to. I want to be able to look back on my life and not just remember that I had all these ideas that could have been a lot of fun but I didn't do them. I want to actually go through with some of the ideas that I have. This is one way to do that.

I hope that helps to explain why I'm doing this. If anyone has any questions about this project or my reasons for doing it that I haven't covered you can email me at theblinddateproject@yahoo.com.

Thanks for listening! Stay tuned for more supplementals and the official start of the project.

1 comment: